Friday, June 27, 2014

Gardening Days


What happens when you combine weeks of fieldwork, weekends of traveling and a rainy, wet spring?! You guessed it: A garden overrun by unwelcome weeds! This past week we've been able to devote a few days to playing catch-up in our garden. What a privilege to grow our own produce! And as any large family would probably be quick to mention: Many hands make light work! 


Susanna weeds corn with the 'help' of our dog, Duke. Wherever she happens to be, he is usually not far behind! 


At least you can see great progress after a weeding session like this one!



Alaythia helps bring in the broccoli crop. We ended up with a bountiful crop, which is a good thing because our family loves broccoli. (Well, I guess that goes for about any veggie, actually!)


Ready to be washed, blanched, and frozen. 


With the older guys managing the work crews, Nathanael has become the 'man of the house', taking care of all the mowing, tilling,  and fix-it jobs that need done. What a blessing to see him grow into such a thoughtful, hard-working man! 

And that is a glimpse into our garden. There's just something delightful about watching plants grow and produce, wouldn't you agree?! How rewarding it is to gather the veggies for our use and benefit. 

How much more should we be laboring for fruit that lasts eternally?! May we be faithful!


“I am the vine, you are the branches. 
He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; 
for without Me you can do nothing. 
By this My Father is glorified, 
that you bear much fruit; 
so you will be My disciples."
John 15:5&8

8 comments:

AmyG said...

What a beautiful family, and beautiful spirit, and beautiful broccoli!

Caravan Sonnet said...

Lovely y'all!! :) That broccoli looks delicious! :)
Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend!
:) Rebecca

Alison said...

Fun! Loved the update. :)

Lexi said...

Sounds like a lot of family boding time!
In Christ,
Lexi
P.S. Good job Nathaneal!

Cryslyn said...

Great update! I love fresh veggies! (and broccoli happens to be my favorite). :)

Blessings to you all!
Cryslyn

Alicia said...

Your garden is amazing. What a blessing. We have a lot of work with just our little one but it is worth it.

Jessica said...

Wow! Your garden always amazes me! I've never seen so much homegrown broccoli!

It's a blessing to have such a bountiful garden!

Jessica

Lori said...

WOW! I've never seen home-grown broccoli that big. The one time we grew it I started to wash it and left it soak for a few moments - when I came back to the sink, dozens of caterpillars were climbing out of it. I'm curious how your family grows it. Do you spray it to keep the bugs off? When do you plant it? I would love to have that success with broccoli!