Saturday, November 23, 2013

Mongolia Update #2

Dear friends and family,

"O my soul, you have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord! Apart from You I have no good thing." ... I will bless the Lord who has given me counsel. I have set the Lord always before me, because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore!" Selected verses from Psalm 16

Praise the Lord! Throughout the past few weeks, I have found these verses to be so very true. Real ministry is able to take place only when we acknowledge our utter need for God's grace & power - saying with David, "Apart from You I have no good thing!"

Then our mighty God steps in with amazing grace, mercy and pure love to supply the lack & transform the situation. The resulting outcomes, relationships & ministry leave me in total awe of our God!! This has been a repeated story in my weeks since the last update! And your prayers are a huge part of this sequence! Thank you!  :)

Even in the winter months, the sights are vividly colorful here in Mongolia: 



The view from my hotel window


Big sky country


Colorful storefronts


I made my first successful trip to the marketplace without an interpreter. The vendors were very understanding -- having patience with my gestures and even helping correct my pronunciation on my limited Mongolian vocabulary. 


Welcome to the grocery 'store'!


A classy hotel


The traditional Mongolian home called a 'yurt'. Many mongolians still live in them. 


A bright smile at my door.


Some of my eager English students. 

Recent Answers to Prayer:

-  English classes are going well and have provided an avenue to develop friendships with a large variety of ages and English speaking levels. I currently have 8 classes a week in my home and 2 classes a week at a local hotel & restaurant for their staff. 

-  The Ladies Health & Fitness class has been hugely successful and such a delight for me to be apart of! We are currently running out of room at the current building and it has been suggested that we find a new place to meet. Last night a lady told me, "My husband loves the change in me!! Thank you!!" 

-  First Aid & Healthcare: The opportunities to minister in these ways could keep one busy full time! But as the schedules have worked out, these opportunities are squeezed in between English classes. Burns & blisters, dog bite, nausea, headaches, infections, heartburn, skin rashes, allergies, back lower pain and a variety of digestive issues are a some of the situations I've had the privilege to counsel the past few weeks. I covet your prayers for wisdom! Many of the "natural treatment options" so easily acquired in the States are unavailable here.


This is a little glimpse of the situations I face each week. Darkness abounds. But where the darkness is great - the light & truth shines greater!  I am so grateful for your prayers and the notes of encouragement you have sent my way!  God is at work - ministering to hearts through touching the physical ... and I'm so grateful you have chosen to be apart of it! 

Only in Him and with much gratefulness,
Ruth Wissmann



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So exciting! Thanks for the update, pictures and your testimony! Tania Denney-Iowa

Talitha said...

Dear Ruth, thank you for the update! I loved all the pictures-- what beautiful, smiling children. :) It is exciting to hear how God has been working and answering prayers! Thank you for sharing-- it is so inspiring! I am leaving tomorrow for a short-term mission trip to the Copper Canyon of Mexico-- I am so excited for what God will do down there. Praying for you as you shine God's light in the darkness!

"Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen" - Ephesians 3:20-21

Alison said...

Ruth!
What a blessing of an update. Thank you! Also, the photo of landscape with the large moon...breathtaking. :) So glad to hear that God is answering prayers and that you are well. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Polly Owens said...

Thank you so much for the updates! What a blessing it is to "see" God at work. Oh! Those precious smiling children! May the Light of Christ be shining through them soon! We are praying for you!

Lexi said...

Ruth, that is so neat! I love all of the pictures! I'm so glad you are having a great time! I'll be praying for you.
In Christ,
Lexi

Godly-young-widow said...

Thanks for sharing. I continue to pray for you and those you minister to

Anonymous said...

The pictures remind me of the Philippines when my husband went there on a missions trip. God bless you!