Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Alan's Surprise


Hello from Kansas! 

Last week held a very special event in our home and I thought I'd share a bit of the story with you. My favorite person had a birthday last Thursday! {insert cheers and birthday song here}

In the days leading up to Alan's birthday, I decided a birthday surprise was in order. Although most of our home is decorated with curtains, pillows, wall art, and all those homey accents, our bedroom had yet to be transformed from a tidy, practical room into a honeymoon suite. 

Since our anniversary arrived during the whirlwind of finishing these projects, I decided to transform the room for his birthday. It should be an easy surprise: Alan typically comes in for lunch, but then returns to the farm for the afternoon. If I had all the sewing done ahead of time, I would have several hours on his birthday to pull it all together. 


But with a sudden change of events, I was the one to be surprised as a dear friend drove from Nebraska to Kansas to take us out for Alan's birthday lunch. We were thrilled and honored he would go so far out of his way for us, and we had a delightful time visiting for several hours into the afternoon. Alan's brother so graciously hung all the curtain hardware in the bedroom while we were in town. And my window of time to decorate became smaller as we spent the afternoon together. 

On the way home I asked Alan if he still had work for the afternoon. "No, I can just be with you and help you get ready for company tonight." (A birthday party isn't complete without the family!)

Great. How could I pull off a surprise while he's in the house?! 


Our birthday dessert
Maybe all the fruit compensated for the other sugary deliciousness?! 

But my lively, sweet niece and nephews came to my rescue. While they were happily distracting their Uncle Alan after supper, we ladies whisked into the bedroom and started hanging curtains, nailing up pictures, and tugging the bedding into place. In short order, the room was transformed -- all while Alan was obliviously occupied only one room away.

He was surprised. Thrilled! 

And I was so grateful for the many dear friends and family in our lives. Those who go out of our way to encourage us. Travel multiple hours to spend the afternoon in fellowship. Help us with crazy projects. 

Grateful for the godly, wonderful man I call my husband. 

We're so blessed. 

And here are a few photos of the room:

Cute bed pillows

The framed photos contain our wedding vows, by Alan's special request.


So true. 


Difficult lighting. But they turned out oh, so elegant!

Our bathroom curtains. Cute and airy. 


"And he decorated the house with precious stones for beauty,..."
2 Chron 3:6


10 comments:

Daniel Bryson said...

My being the first is, I think, a first! Nicely and cleverly done, Rachel and conspirators. :D May your lives and home continue to be blessed.

Alison said...

What a sweet post! The room looks lovely, and your marriage is a beautiful picture of Christ and His bride. :)

Arnie said...

Amen to that, Alison!

Amanda said...

Soooo cute! I love your decorating ideas! Thanks for posting, Rachel! I always look forward to hearing from you!

Anonymous said...

That's such a great story!!!!
In Christ,
Lexi

Sarah said...

Wow, great birthday present :)
That birthday desert looks amazing, too! I'd love to get the recipe!
Blessings.

Sarah said...

oops! I mean "deSSert! :D

Rachel Busenitz said...

Hi Sarah!

Thanks for your note. Yes, the dessert was certainly one I'll be making again! It was actually very simple:

1 Angel food cake (Yes, I made it from a mix)

Equal parts vanilla pudding & cool whip

Lots of fresh fruit. I used strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and kiwi.

Cut the angel food cake into 1" squares and layer with the pudding mixture and fruit. It looks lovely served in a glass trifle bowl. Enjoy!

decembercaravan said...

This is so wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your cute decorating ideas!! This room looks so lovely! :) Happy late birthday to Alan!
:) Rebecca

Sarah said...

Rachel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to get me the recipe! You didn't have to do that! :) I am so excited to make it, though! it looks so fun, summery and easy!

I am so happy to see you post, and see how God has blessed your marriage with Alan!

I don't know if you remember, but I met you about 3 years ago at the INCH convention, and then at the Church performance after that in Michigan! :) I have really enjoyed listening to your cd's and following your blog. I was soooo excited to see you get married to such a wonderful man, its a wonderful and encouraging testimony to see you young ladies out there trusting God with everything!

Thank you for the recipe! May God bless you :)

Love,
Sarah Staufer