Monday, August 27, 2012

Our First 58 Days


Have we already been married for 8 weeks?! The memories of our wedding day still make me giddy with happiness. Best. Day. Ever.....except for the 58 delightful days since then! Growing to know each other and experience the 'every-day-ness' of life together has been a beautiful journey. And with the summer farm activity in high gear, there has rarely been a dull moment! 

(Note: Please excuse the lack of photo quality. We're currently capturing these moments with our cell phones.)

 
 Helping with tractor maintenance. Alan's nephew has taken it upon himself to teach me the specifics of farm life from his vast experiences!


My handsome farmer after a successful cattle run. It was incredible to be out before the sunrise and watch the process of bringing in the cattle from their grazing pastures.

 


A big adventure for me has been setting up our kitchen and planning the meals. For the past 10 years my mom and sisters have actually done most of the cooking at home (yes-- confession time!), so I was apprehensive about my cooking abilities -- or lack thereof! 

But its been so fun! Thankfully, we both have very similar tastes in food and spices, so Alan is a delight to cook for. He's even very adventuresome when it comes to trying new recipes (my forte)! The biggest challenge has come the past two weeks during harvest as we've been putting in 14 hour days...finding time for meals was a great stretch for me.

 
We started our family tradition of homemade pizza on Saturday nights. Yum!



The gardens have been producing abundantly and Alan's mom has been so generous in sharing some of their produce. My sisters came for a visit and together we were able to can lots of pickles, tomatoes, and peaches!



The past two weeks, this has been the story of my days: driving the grain cart during harvest! Having never driven a large tractor before, this was a steep learning curve for me. But, with the world's best teacher cheering me on, I actually started to really enjoy the challenge.



And a perk of the job!? Lots of time to work on our wedding "Thank You" notes. Just as we finished harvest I wrote out the last of our 226 notes. Now to get them all stamped and mailed....!

 

Yes, you are seeing things correctly. I actually drove the combine on a couple occasions!


Another big project we tacked was putting up a new bin on the farm. It was well over 100 degrees the day we poured cement. Whew! So glad to have that job done!


Pouring the floor


And the completed project!



O Lord, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup; 
You maintain my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; 
Yes, I have a good inheritance."  Psalm 16:5-6

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to get to see part of your new life together. Looks like you are enjoying it. Would love to see posts of your new family and who all lives and works on the farm. :)

Savories of Life said...

Great to see pictures. And I understand if you are a little busy to do giveaway! it can wait:)

Desirae Clopper said...

So glad your enjoying farm life! I'd like to mrry a farmer someday, but we'll see! God may have other plans in store for me! God Bless in your married life!
Desirae Clopper

Schumachers said...

Wow Rachel you are quite the farm wife! looks like so much fun!!!! I totally know how it is trying to get stuff done in the grain cart. It's kind of nice some times to have that time to get some projects done. I'm so happy for you 2:) I hope you have and had a great harvest so far. ~Mindy

Arnie said...

I utterly love these pictures and your narrative! What a joy! Thanks for posting!
- Arnie

Sharon said...

Love this post!!

Makes me smile to see you so happy:)

Blessings,

Sharon

Amanda ✿◕‿◕✿ said...

It's absolutely wonderful seeing and reading this. I was worried that once you got married, you wouldn't blog any more as so many seem to do :(

I'm glad you're still about :)

God bless,

Amanda

Marjo.....B. said...

You have always worked so hard! Great example.

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts!Your wedding was absolutely beautiful!!!!
Where did you get your wedding dress? Modest,but feminine wedding dresses are SOOO hard to find.God Bless!

The Reynolds said...

Your combine and tractor driving are way too awesome Rachel. So happy to see your happy days unfold with Alan.:)