Thursday, April 19, 2012

Couple's Shower


On Saturday we had the treat of another shower -- this time, a Pampered Chef shower hosted by my sweet sisters in our home area. They made it a 'couples' shower in order to include Alan in the fun -- and, of course -- I was thrilled! Since we are starting with very little in regards to our home needs, it was such a blessing to be able to purchase our stainless steal cookware through this shower, in addition to so many wonderful kitchen gadgets. We have such kind friends!


Most creative guestbook ever! Ruth printed off a calendar for the first year of our marriage, complete with all the birthday/anniversary dates from both Alan's & my side of the family. It included tons of pictures from our 'getting-to-know-you' time and engagement period. Each guest then wrote a short note on one of the pages. Amazing keepsake! 


And we were challenged by one of my favorite 'couple-games'! Dad read several questions and we had to answer by lifting the appropriate shoe. For example: "Who has the wackiest family?!" And yes -- we both agreed it would be mine! *smile*  As you can probably imagine, we had lots of wonderful laughs!


Oh yeah!


Hmmmm....having to think about this one a bit!


Then, we headed to the kitchen to help demonstrate the Pampered Chef tools by cooking together. Alan did a fantastic job -- not only did he showcase his skills in the kitchen, he also enthralled and entertained the group by his lively, animated storytelling! I will never tire of listening to him tell our love story! (Thanks for your patience -- it IS coming in written form!)


My handsome man in the kitchen


Working on the final details together.


Mission accomplished!


Asher was a delightful, darling addition to the crowd. 


And when Ruth plans a party, the food is fantastic! This was no exception! 


Alan and I have SO much to be grateful for! The kind notes and messages from you blog readers have been such a personal blessing to me. When I randomly decided to start this family blog, I had no idea that it grow to encompass such a large, sweet circle of friends! Through the years you have laughed with us, cried with us, rejoiced with us, and upheld us with your prayers. We sincerely thank you! It is a special treat whenever we're able to meet our readers in person. It's encouraging to know that, in some small way, the sharing of our imperfect lives has been a blessing. 

Alan and I are still talking about how involved we'll be with blogging after our wedding, but even if we don't start our own blog, I'm sure I'll pop over here for a 'Kansas Farming' update! *smile*

Because really, this adventure called 'blogging' is simply a sharing of what the Lord has been doing and working in our lives. And that is a journey that continues on! 



"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,
not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching."
Hebrews 10:34-35

18 comments:

goatpod2 said...

How fun! My sister-in-law had a couple's bridal shower because of a snow blizzard so the men stuck around at our old church's basement. My sister had a couple's bridal shower too. My sister-in-law has had a couple's baby shower so they could just walk around our farm at their own pace.

Blessings,

Amy

Anonymous said...

do y'all have a wedding website?
I would love to see it.

We are praying for all the wedding prep to go smoothly!!

Blessings,

JB

Desiree said...

Both of your showers look so wonderfully fun! I am planning a bridal shower for my future sister-in-law and both of the showers give me some ideas:)

kenton said...

So excited for you at this time of your life! I read that scripture last night before I went to bed. It sure is a good one. Thanks for all that you share!

The Ahlgren Family said...

How wonderful! What a blessing to have these special memories from your showers! God is so good! We never had a wedding shower, but we have had baby showers and I LOVE it when my wonderful husband is included and we make it a "family" shower! :D

Shaylyn said...

Oh my goodness, how fun! You better make sure Alan cooks you a fancy three course meal at least ONCE a week haha. ;)

God bless you both!

Anonymous said...

Yes, please consider starting up your own blog. You have been such an encouragement to me through the years, and I know many would be very blessed to have a little peek into your married life. :)

Bethanne said...

oh yes Alan's cooking skills. If I remember right he had a very special recipe for the best oatmeal:)

and yes his stories are the best:)

Beth
one of Alan's very many cousins:)

SineTimore said...

Thank you so much for posting! I had to comment because I have been so thankful for how your blogging as truly touched my life and encouraged me to grow closer to our precious savior! I came across your blog approximately 6 months ago right after I was diagnosed with a health condition. I have checked back frequently and as a young woman have been constantly encouraged and blessed by your obvious love for the Lord. Although we have never met your sweet testimony through your posts has encouraged my little discouraged heart during this difficult time. I hope you will keep on posting and I can't wait to read about your love story with Alan! As a woman waiting on the Lord in that area of my life I am excited to read about how the Lord has brought the two of you together! Thank you again! May our Lord bless you abundantly during this exciting season!

Rebecca :)

His Way Services said...

Can't wait to hear the story of God's mighty work. Hope to see engagement photos. Hope you do get a blog, but if not, I'll look forward to the Kansas Farming or Farming Kansas posts.

Rebecca K.

Heather said...

Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! I have a question about your blog. HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com

Jenni R. said...

I think you might have mentioned that you all are starting with very little, as a married couple.

Will you be starting new, with a new home, etc. I know you are currently are home with your family, is Alan still as well?

Let us know and maybe the blog readers would like to chip-in for a favorite item of the couple, to help get you started, of course it is the least we can do after all the posts you wrote for us.

Thanks. :)

Annie said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures, Rachel! Looks like a wonderful time. =) So glad you were able to have two showers to help start off your new home. I'm looking forward to hearing your love story, btw! ;)

Much love in Christ,
Annie

P.S. Lord willing I'll be coming to NCHEA on Saturday with Scott & Hannah. =) I look forward to seeing you!

Emily B. said...

Thanks for sharing!!It looks like you all had a wonderful time. I am always encouraged and blessed by your family's blog, and the obvious willingness and desire your family has to follow the Lord in each area of your lives!!
"Seeing" you, as young woman, waiting on the Lord to write your love story has greatly blessed and encouraged me. Thats the way I want to be!! :)
I look forward to someday, hopefully {!!}, meeting your family. Y'all really should come to Maine! :) God bless!
btw..I CAN'T WAIT to hear you and Alan's love story...and if you chose to have a blog,I look forward to your posts about married life! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You and Alan look so happy together! :)

Rachel said...

Jenni R. --

Thanks for your note! We're excitedly preparing for our new home and our friends and family have been so kind in helping equip us for this new journey! We have registered for many household items at BB&B. But your encouragement through prayers during this busy time is the kindest gift of all - -and means so very much to us both! You dear blog friends have always been such a tremendous blessing in that way!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know you or your famil I just heard about you from a friend and I have really enjoyed seeing your love to your to be man. I pray God richly blesses your coming marriage!!! Looks like you to will make a great team!!! Dig deep in the word when things get hard.

A fellow sister in Christ Jesus

african girl said...

Based from what you said and by looking to the photos you really had a great time and fun with it. It so cool to have a nice couple's bridal shower. Thank you for sharing this one.