Friday, November 04, 2011

Day of Chickens

What happens when I forget to bring our camera during our latest family adventure? I'm stuck with only a few phone pictures to tell the story! But maybe its just as well because there's something unpleasant about high resolution pictures of chicken butchering.

Yes, that is correct. Chicken butchering. Yesterday we spent the afternoon with friends who so kindly raise broilers for our family every year. Thus, the annual event has become a fun tradition for our family. I'm so thankful for all the practical skills we're able to learn as we work on food preservation together!

The cutting table

Smiles!


"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might."
Ecc 9:10

11 comments:

Hannah Joy R. said...

What fun!
I always enjoy doing that with our family! We did ours a few weeks ago, and I just posted some pictures on our blog today.

Anonymous said...

Wow! :)

Blythe said...

Fun!!! I remember doing this a few times. :)

Graham Donahue said...

Ah, the wonderful art of chicken proccessing! I raise chickens for sale, and have also helped friends, so I have had much experience butchering them!

Looks like it went well.

Graham Donahue

Grace said...

Looks like fun..ha ha jk!! That is definitely not one of my favorite jobs to do! Btw I was wondering what program you use to edit you pics??? =) Just wondering..

Anonymous said...

Good 4 you!!! My family has a small poultry prossesing plant so I know how fun it is=)

Emily said...

LOL ;) We have chickens and I know what fun it is to butcher :) Isn't it great putting a cold hand inside a warm chicken???!!!

Talitha said...

Ah yes, butchering chickens. Even if it may not be enjoyable, it's nice to have fresh, home-grown chickens to eat!

Anonymous said...

We just butchered some of our broilers the other day.:) God bless you guys with your ministry!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling that goes along with that chore. We just butchered our broiler chickens this week too! But guess what!! My grandpa has a chicken plucker. You just stick the chicken in the plucker and BINGO! your chicken is plucked!! =) Butchering chickens is a lot of hard work but well worth the great hormone-free meat!!
Diane

Rachel said...

I remember when my family and some of my aunts and their kids would go to my grandma and grandpa's house and we would butcher chickens.... My favourite part was plucking the feathers. :)