Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Basket Weaving

This is Hannah again, giving another report from our adventures at Grandpa and Grandma's house:

Last week Grandma planned a special treat -- she brought us to a friend's house to learn basket weaving.

The first step is to let the 'reeds' soak in water. Then, after a few more steps you just start the weaving process.

Even Charissa got to make one, with Grandma's help!

Once you have the shape down it gets a bit easier.

Adding color is so much fun! Our teacher had so many different ones to choose from!

It was fun to see everyone's style come out in the colors.
Nathanael had a lot of fun color woven into his basket!

Alaythia's is more purple and navy.

Charissa's is pink, red, purple, and blue.

Susanna had very bright colors -- orange and Blue!
I had red, white, and blue.

Once you are done weaving, you have to finish the handle and wrap the top. That part was a little harder but still a lot of fun!

Here are just a few of the hundreds of baskets that Grandma's friend, Jean, has made.

She is so good at making baskets! It was so much fun to learn from her!
Thank you Jean!

9 comments:

Trini said...

LOOKS FUN!!!!

Anna B. said...

Oooo...so fun to see you posting, Hannah! Looks like your having the time of your life! I can't wait to hear about it when I see you in just a couple days. <3

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is so cool! Good job! :)

Talitha said...

Very cool. Those are some amazing baskets! I remember making some like that when I was younger. It is fun. :)

A.J. said...

That looks like fun =)

Desiree said...

I have seen people do that and have wanted to learn. It looks like fun:)

Sarah said...

I teach basketweaving and you guys did an awesome job!! It is so fun isn't it? I have met you guys before in MI :) Enjoy reading your posts.

Becky said...

Oh how lovely! I bet it was so fun to do. I wish I could learn to make baskets. They make such great home decor- but they can be so expensive at stores!
Tell your friend to put some video tutorials online for us all ;)

goatpod2 said...

How fun!

Blessings,

Amy