Monday, January 10, 2011

Pattern Making


With the joy of wedding bells ringing once again in our family, the time has come to pull out the sewing machine and make our bridesmaid dresses! We're so thrilled that our sweet sister-to-be, Kori, has asked all 4 of us older girls to be bridesmaids in their wedding party. But in addition to helping sew our dresses, our friend Anna is also making dresses for the additional 4 bridesmaids. We have quite the sewing project on our hands!

One complication: no pattern. Thus, we're embarking on another adventure to design the perfect pattern for the wedding -- no small task! We have a dress and sketch we're working from, but its proving rather challenging!

Trying to design the bodice pleats

And it always helps to be able to actually fit it to the person!


Marking the pleats on our new "pattern"

Cutting out the pieces

More bodice fittings with sample fabric

And Charissa is keeping us company with her own little sewing projects!

We appreciate your prayers as we continue to perfect the pattern and sew the dresses. It seems like an overwhelming task, but we're learning lots and hope to make major progress today!

But I have trusted in Your mercy; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
Psalm 13:5

17 comments:

Lydia said...

I am sure that your dresses will all turn out beautifully! I always love you costumes and dresses!

Love and Prayers,
Lydia

Joanna said...

I'm sure they'll turn out just beautiful! I love the design sketch, very pretty and feminine. :-)

Jenna said...

How exciting! We will be praying for you and I am confidant that the Lord will give you all the strength, grace, and wisdom to create the perfect pattern!

All of you ladies are very talented and encourage me in my own sewing:)

Blessings!

Verda said...

Good job on being creative! I enjoy sewing, but not creating new patterns, so I am impressed. :)

Rachel said...

How wonderful! But my goodness! What an undertaking! :) You ladies are so inspiring! :D Praying as you all work hard...I know He'll help you and you'll all look so beautiful in your new dresses! :)

God Bless!
~Miss Rachel~

goatpod2 said...

I am sure the dresses will be lovely once they're finished!

Blessings & prayers,

Amy

Charity U said...

Anna is the perfect one to help with that. :) I'm sure you're all very excited!

Annie said...

Wow...what a big project! I'm sure they will turn out beautifully despite all the hard work!
I looking forward to seeing the finished dresses. =) (Red must be a popular color for weddings in your family!)
Many blessings (and prayers!),
~Annie~

Miss Linda said...

Oh, how well I know the difficulty of trying to create a pattern! It looks like you are using existing patterns for reference--I do the same thing. I am currently working on a blouse that I am referring to as my "Frankenstein blouse" because I am using parts from three different patterns to make it.

One benefit from undertaking such a project is that one learns so much! I wish you all good luck as you perfect the pattern and construct the dresses. I know they will be beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Will be praying!! God bless!

Rebecca K.

ajfcello said...

I'm sure they'll be simply fantastic! I tried making a skirt without a pattern and it took forever! :-) well, it felt like it. :-)

~Desiree~ said...

I hope it goes well! Looks like a challenging and fun project:)

Olivia said...

Wow! I will be praying for you!
I have never had to make a pattern, but I did over the summer make a 1950's dress from a Vintage Vogue pattern, and my it was a challenge getting the pattern right to fit me.
Blessings as you prepare for the next Wissmann wedding!
~Olivia in KY (and first time commenter, by the way :)

Sword Of The Lord said...

I can't wait to see how they all turn out, so nice to see. Have a good new year.

kashima

Anonymous said...

Ya'll look so nice in your dresses and skirts! (Ladies, I mean)
;)
~Elizabeth~

Emily said...

I made my wedding dress that way...started with a pattern, altered it to be modest, totally changed the size and fit. It's such a job. I'm sure your dresses will turn out lovely!

Rachel said...

You all are so creative - I know God will give you all the ideas and patience you need! Looking forward to seeing the finished product sometime later this winter/sring. :)