Saturday, July 24, 2010

Taste of Summer


Along with the heat of summer comes the fresh, delicious taste of garden produce. Thankfully, due to the diligence of Mom and our younger ones who spend many, many hours in the gardens, we've been enjoying lots of fresh veggies this month! For the first time ever, we've been fairly successful with our mulching -- making it much easier to maintain the garden while we're on the road.

And once again, our annual 'sweet corn days' are here -- and just in time! With our plans to leave on a two week tour this weekend, we've been watching the corn and praying it'd ripen before we had to leave, or we'd loose our entire crop. Well, with all the heat we had last week, the corn has ripened perfectly -- so this week we've spent many hours harvesting and freezing.


Walkin' through the corn patch.


True Nebraska 'corn-huskers'!



Charissa's job this year was to help with the 'water-bath' after blanching the corn.


Oh! Doesn't that just make you hungry!? Mmmm!


Nathanael was our faithful 'cob-disposal-man', dragging load after load of corncobs to our compost area.


And finally -- happy feeling -- when we're all finished, we can simply hose everything down and stack our 100+ quarts of corn in the freezer! It was such a blessing having an abundance of corn this year [with thanks to a generous friend] as we put up several additional gallons for Andrew & Kori's upcoming wedding meal!


"And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us,
And establish the
work of our hands for us;
Yes, establish the
work of our hands."
Psalm 90:17

16 comments:

Lydia said...

I love freezing corn, it is always a fun family project that we do every year!
~Lydia

JoyfulJewels4Jesus said...

Wow! What diligence in freezing that much corn! Looks like you had some wonderful helpers! :)

Blessings~
Elizabeth

Charity U said...

Phew! That's a really big corn patch! We had about enough planted for two big meals and some left to freeze, but not nearly 100 quarts! That's impressive! I hope y'all got to eat some just on the cob with butter and salt and maybe a little pepper...mmm, now my mouth's watering. (-:

Sarah said...

Haha! I always am surprised when I look at blogs (because for some reason no one blogs here in the south... so all the blogs I read are up north) when y'all post garden pictures a month after we do!!! :) We did our corn early this month. *smile*

I really like the new look!!! Great job!!

Sarah G.

Anonymous said...

Did you just change the look of your blog? ... it looks a little different. :)

Rachel Wissmann said...

Anon --

Yes! I did tweak the blog look a little...seemed time for an update! And now you can easily share our posts via the e-mail and share features! [see footer of each post] The advantages of technology!

Bethany said...

I do miss Nebraska, but I guess Virginia isn't that bad either..so glad the corn ripened for ya'll.

Jenna said...

The new look is great, Rachel! Any tips on learning Graphic Design?? I am interested in it and would love to learn how to use it to bless others...:)

Great job on the corn!! Looking forward to hearing how you use the corn in Andrew and Kori's wedding meal~ Is a date set?

ajfcello said...

OH! It looks so good!

Anonymous said...

Now I notice the new pic... :) like it!!! I really admire you all. God Bless.

Laurence Elizabeth

P.S. I don't usually go by "anonymous" that was an accident. :)

Jennifer said...

WOW the corn looks great!..

I was wondering if you had guitar chords for your song 'Let the Rocks Cry Out'... that's my favorite song of yours! I love to sing it and wanted to play it. :-)

If you don't want to share it ( since you wrote it and all) I COMPLETELY understand!

~Jenn

p.s. - LOVE the new look! :-D

Anonymous said...

Did you take lessons on the violin when you were younger Rachel? how long did you take lessons?

Erin said...

The corn looks great! So glad that it was ready in time for you all :)

Nathan said...

I love the sled transportation! I used my sled all summer long on my parent's NE acreage to haul stuff around when I was younger.

Anonymous said...

When is the wedding?

Rachel Wissmann said...

Their wedding is scheduled for March 5, 2001. We're so excited!