Thursday, July 01, 2010

Surrounded by Songs of Rejoicing


"This is the day that the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it!"

What a refreshing, daily reminder this is! I remember many times as a young girl, Mom would walk through our house in the early morning, singing songs of praise and triumph. Perhaps it was in a valiant effort to get her sleepy-headed children awake! But it also set an important tone for our day -- to wake up with songs of rejoicing.

And this was a good reminder to me again today. June was a very, very busy month for our family. If you've been following this blog the past few weeks, you'll know what I'm talking about. And I wasn't even able to blog the most of it! Squeezed between the blogged pictures were the gathering and processing of 75lbs of strawberries, hours of garden work, sewing costumes for our musical production, a surprise birthday party for Matthias & Stephen, baking cinnamon rolls for our local farmers' market, bus repairs, and the steady flow of housekeeping.

There are seasons of full schedules and activities. Perhaps that's why the memory of Mom's cheery good mornings was a blessing to me today. Reminding me to make time to simply sit at Jesus' feet and praise Him. To take a break from all the 'doing', and make time to fellowship with Him. Starting my day with praise is a refreshing way to set the focus for each day.

Have you made time to praise Him today? To cultivate a heart of worship?

This is my desire!

"Oh come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker."
Psalm 95:6

5 comments:

Kelsey Anne Hoppman said...

Great post! Many times if I am having trouble getting up in the morning I repete that verse. (This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!) Somehow, it always makes me feel excited to get up and see what the day woill bring.
God Bless,
Kelsey

Mindy said...

Wow Rachel your post made me think a lot. It made me sing a song. :) Hope you guys can take a break for a while and slow down. Hope you have a great July! Love, Mindy

p.s. Tell everyone hi for me

your sis-in-love said...

What a good reminder--thank you!! I needed that! :)

Charity U said...

It's looking like we might make it to your July 4 performance...not certain, but possible! I'm hoping...(-:

I think it's great that your mom would walk through singing...that's terrific! And a great way to wake up, too. (-:

elizabeth said...

Great post! I did a similar one just yesterday and mentioned the hymn "Praise the Savior ye who know Him"

That was fun to see yours today on the same subject, praising HIM!