Friday, February 05, 2010

Mexico

Last Sunday afternoon we had the privilege of visiting Mexico for a few hours. After a full schedule the previous week, it was a special treat just to have some time for family fun. I wish we knew more Spanish than our meager vocabulary, but most of the people who lived in the boarder city knew just enough English to urge us to purchase their wares.

One of the more unique craftsmen was a painter. His only 'artistic' tools consisted of spray cans of paint, cardboard, and plastic bags. It was amazing to watch as he created a lovely picture in a matter of only a few minutes.

He called the cardboard his 'Mexican paintbrush'

Lovely, isn't it?!

Dad also treated us to a Mexican restaurant as a birthday treat. [yes, Sunday was my birthday] The prices were far less than an equivalent American meal, and it sure made for a delightful memory! I'm sure the food was somewhat 'Americanized', but it was, nonetheless, delicious!

Smiles!

Shopping, shopping! Since everything was written in Spanish, we had to just guess at which items would be a fun sampling of authentic Mexican treats.


And finally, after crossing back into the states, we had to stop for some juicy Texas grapefruit.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!

"The earth is the LORD's, and all its fullness, The world and those who dwell therein."
Psalm 24:1

16 comments:

Kimberly Ruth said...

That looks like soooooo much fun!!!:)
And yes, I am for the first person to write a comment on your blog for the first time in my life!!!:):):):):):):)
YAY!!!

Ruth Ann said...

I love the pictures! {and btw, I hope you had a *lovely* birthday Rachel!}

Wow, that is incredible - the man who did that artwork. It reminds me how we need to be content with what we have and use it to its' full extent. =) Wonderful encouragement!

This was a wonderful post...*and* it was a blessing to hear y'all sing at Red Oak in Altha, FL the other night. =) I was so happy to get to hear y'all in person, and could have stayed there all night! Thanks for being such a blessing and glorifying the Lord with JOY and a radiant testimony. I didn't get to meet you Rachel :( but I was able to have a wonderful conversation with Elizabeth and was quite encouraged.

Blessings!
Ruth Ann

Lulu said...

Looks like you had fun! I'd looooooove to go to Mexico....my mother speaks Spanish quiet fluently!

Jenna said...

What amazing art work!! Your family is so precious; I enjoy reading all of your updates:)

May Jesus Bless your family~

Jessica Faith said...

looks like you had an awesome time!!! i love that artwork... beautiful. and i agree with ruth ann that we should be content with what we have! i would love to go to mexico too someday! and i like all the pics of you guys... sweet family, sweet music!!!
Hugs!
{happy birthday rachel!}
God Bless!

Lily said...

It looks like you all had so much fun! :) I was amazed at the artwork that the one man did. It was so awesome!

Megan.Margaret said...

Did you sing at my Grandpa's church by chance??

Woodsaw4 said...

Hi there,

I'm glad that you were able to visit Mexico. Where did you cross? It so amazing the vastly different culture down there! Such poverty. Did you have the opportunity of someone down there performing an impromptu windshield washing? They are far more enterprising that us americans. I have been praying for you that the Lord will tremendously bless your ministry and that many souls will be won over to Jesus Christ.

bassplayer7 said...

I'm glad you all were able to see some of Mexico! It's very different down there.

Mountain Mover said...

I am glad that you were able to experience a small part of Mexico. You all saw one of the border towns, which is still quite different then "real" Mexico is. However, it is still a very different culture.

I pray that you continue to bless families, in your travels.

God bless...

Annie said...

Hi Rachel,
Looks like y'all had a delightful family outing! I enjoyed seeing the pictures...that cardboard artwork is amazing!
I'm learning Spanish, and it's not terribly difficult, except for the fact that they talk SO fast! =)
Love in Christ,
~Annie~

Sara N. Smith said...

What a great time! I love Mexico - it's quite an amazing country!

Ashley said...

Oh what fun! I had the priveledge of being there many times while in language school. That eagle brings back memories. :)

Kenna said...

Looks like ya'll had fun!
Only been to Mexico once, and the food was good!!!!!!
Loved the pics!
Hope you had a wonderful birthday, Rachel!

Kenna said...

Oh, forgot about the painting until I read some of the other comments......it was beautiful!!

Jerry said...

I remember a street artist in Vegas several years ago doing a similar kind of work. Fascinating when you see an idea in someone's head appear on a blank piece of paper.
Jerry Ficke