Saturday, January 23, 2010

On the Road Again

We're officially on the road and adapting back to bus life. Our goal for this trip is to somewhat maintain a family schedule with early rising and diligent school and practice. Thus far it's been a huge blessing to see how everyone is pitching together to make that happen!


Last night we had a priceless moment at our concert in Cleveland, Tennessee. During that afternoon Charissa came down with the stomach flu. We felt so bad for her, trying to relieve her stomach while driving through the winding mountain roads.


After setting up sound equipment at the church, I asked Charissa if she felt well enough to sing with us. “Maybe another time” she whispered, still feverish. We figured out a way to work our music so Mom could spend the evening in the bus with her. Even as we prayed for the service together, she was sick.


We started the service -- and without Josiah, Bethany, Andrew, and now Mom and Charissa, we seemed like such a small family! Suddenly, right in the middle of sharing “Daddy’s Song”, I noticed Mom bringing Charissa into the back of the sanctuary, dressed in her matching dress. Mom whispered something and then Charissa took off down the long aisle, arms outstretched towards Daddy. Her face was pale, but glowing as she climbed the steps to the platform and ran into Daddy’s arms. She arrived just in time to be swopped up and sing her part of the song -- “And I your little girl”.


It was one of those moments where we all suddenly had to struggle to keep singing. Her little gesture was so precious as we all knew the effort she was making.


We later discovered that while Mom was caring for her in the bus, she mentioned we were probably getting ready to sing “Daddy’s Song”. Charissa suddenly perked up and said, “Daddy needs me!!” Then, after she shared her song, Mommy took her back to the bus and she promptly got sick again.


The little trouper. [smile]


Today we head south to Alabama in preparation for sharing in several state prisons this coming week through the We Care Ministry. We covet your prayers for each of the evening services as we go behind bars to share the message of Hope.



"Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus, that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Romans 15:5-6

36 comments:

~Desiree~ said...

AWW that is so cute, I love stories like that! I am praying for all you! Gos bless.

Kimberly:) said...

AWWWWWWWW that is almost to cute to be true!:) And be the way I absolutely loooove the outfits! Especially the guys shirts because that is my favorite color.:):):):):)

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Hope none of you catch her bug!

Jenna said...

I totally understand how poor Charissa felt;) We're battling the same thing here in MI...

You are a beautiful family and I love reading your blog updates! Have a blessed and safe trip:)

~Jenna

Guntzel Girls said...

Wow! What a sweetheart! I sure hope she'll be better soon. I pray that your trip will go well and that God will bless you as you bless others.

~Amy~

bassplayer7 said...

I hope Charissa feels better soon - and that no one else catches it. I'll be praying that your prison ministry goes well, and that souls will be impacted.

God Bless

Lesley said...

Oh my! That is SO precious! Praying she feels better soon!

Annie said...

Oh, Rachel, that is so sweet!! :) It almost brought tears to my eyes...yes, I'm quite emotional. :)
I will be praying for your family as you're on the road. May God bless you and keep the rest of you healthy!
Oh, and I like your new matching outfits. :)
Love in Christ,
~Annie~
P.S. Ever since I ordered the Bright Lights CD I haven't taken it out of my CD player! I'm serious! I have been listening to it non-stop ever since it arrived! :)

Julie said...

She's just a precious little girl, isn't she?!?

Praying for safety and health for your travels!

Nicole 妮可 said...

that is pretty much the cutest thing EVVVER. :)

Lulu said...

How precious. Praying for you as you travel! Thanks for the update, Rachel!

Anonymous said...

Awww! How sweet! You've just gotta love those special moments!

~An Indiana Aquaintance:)

Ruth Ann said...

Rachel! My eyes are full of tears {even now} after reading that little story about Charissa. Oh how sweet. I could picture her running down there to her daddy's arms. Thank you so much for sharing this moment in ministry ~ what a BLESSING it was and is to me! =)

Our Army of Six said...

What a precious story!! Wish I could have seen that :) Poor Charissa, we will be praying for her to feel all better!

Woodsaw4 said...

I will definitely be praying that no one else gets the flu on the road. That would be no fun.

Cheyne said...

Hope Charissa gets better. She is getting so big. I remember I started following your blog when she was born. Long time ago!
By the way, are these posts really by Bethany?

simplysanctified said...

What a precious, priceless story! :) May the Lord bless you as you begin your travels!
*Sara*

Anonymous said...

That's is such a precious story! What an inspiration to the rest of us.

S.H.

Bethany said...

Ohh!!! Wish I could give her a big hug!! :) Can you, for me?

And like the singing outfits!! Fun to see what you went with. ;) Love you all lots!

The Gilmore Family said...

Oh my! What a PRECIOUS story!!
So very sweet and wonderfull!

Hope you all do not get sick!

Sarah G.

The Munck Family said...

Wissmann Family,

It was such a blessing and delight to hear and see your family perform last night! My family had such a wonderful time. I enjoyed talking with Rachel, she is so sweet and kind. Little Wesley has been singing "fret not" today, its so cute. My family and I will be praying for your family and your ministry. May God be with you all in the coming days. We hope Miss Charissa is feeling better! Thank you again for taking time to talk and share with my family.

Your Sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

Kenna said...

Awwwwwwwwwww........... she is a trouper!!!!! She's so cute!!!!
Thanks for the update.
Praying!

Katie R. said...

It was absolutely precious! :) She's such a sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

That is so precious. Bet Daddy felt special. Hope she's feeling better soon and the rest of you don't catch it.

Linda G~ND

Jessica Faith said...

completely adorable - praying for you as you sing at your next stop!

Noelle said...

What a precious story! Praying for you all! Stay safe and healthy! :)

Melanie said...

I was reading your post to Mariah and almost started crying when I got to the "Daddy needs me" part! Oh my goodness...what a sweetheart. Already has a servant's heart and she's so little.

Anonymous said...

And she did such a GOOD job! All of ya'll did! We were very blessed, and thank you for making Cleveland one of your stops!

Blessings,
The Flemings

MoonShaw said...

Oh, how sweet of her! Oh... so touching...

Tori said...

That is TOO cute!!

Dave and Ruth Ann Miller said...

That must've been the most special performance of that song! I have tears!

Elizabeth said...

Charissa is so sweet! We enjoyed hearing her sing Daddy's Song at the concert we attended. Hope she gets feeling better!

Joyfully in Jesus,
Elizabeth

Elsie Gibbs said...

What a sweet sweet testimony! Thank you for sharing.
"I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me." Philippians 4:13 :D

Ms. Elsie

( : Happy Okie : ) said...

Such a sweet story! I love that she did it because her Daddy needed her!
I must say, Hannah is looking so mature and is a beautiful young woman! It is so amazing to watch boys and girls mature into men and women! It really is like a flower blossoming and opening up, practically overnight! You are a beautiful family from the inside out!

Under Southern Skies said...

That is so precious! I hope she feels better soon, I'll be praying for her.

Tim S. said...

Must be hard to travel when someone is sick like that. I'm glad Charissa made it in for that song. It wouldn't be the same with out her.