Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Chains are Gone...

...I've been set FREE!

This song has been playing in my head all week. The wonder of HIS amazing grace.

We're currently in the sunny, windy state of Alabama, just beginning the week of prison ministry with the We Care Program. We met with over 400 other volunteers for orientation on Sunday. The day was filled with challenging messages, stirring worship together, and hearing the testimonies of men who were once in prison -- captive both to sin and in the literal sense -- but are now free. It is exciting to see the radical and passionate life-changing power of the Gospel. We truly have a message of HOPE! This isn't an every-day, ordinary sort of power. The person of Jesus Christ offers forgiveness, victory, and life more abundantly!

And as we go behind the prison bars, we see that life-changing power at work. We've experienced it in our own lives. We see it in the eyes of the few inmates who have found Christ in prison and are living radiant, God-honoring lives behind bars. We see it in the tear-filled faces of men and women weeping at the alter. Its that Amazing Grace! And may we never lose the awe of it -- or of the One who sacrificed so much to give it to us.

My chains are gone, I've been set free!
My God, my Savior ransomed me.
And like a flood, His mercy reigns --
Unending love, Amazing Grace!


"But God demonstrates His own love toward us,
in that while we were still sinners,
Christ died for us."
Romans 5:8

11 comments:

bassplayer7 said...

Praise the Lord, that you have this incredible opportunity! I'll be looking forward to hearing about their response.

Sharmane said...

I really enjoy that song! It is so amazing to see what God is doing by using your family! Safe travels and may the Lord bless you and your family each day!

~Desiree~ said...

This is great to hear! I have been praying for you all.

Under Southern Skies said...

I've never heard that song before, but it sounds wonderful. I'll continue praying for you all!

Daniel Turack said...

Love that song! Praying for ya'll as you minister.

Jessica Faith said...

i absolutely love that song!!!! do you guys sing it at the prison? it's an incredible opportunity for you! hugs and blessings,

Tori said...

I love that song! I'm saying a prayer for you all!

Kenna said...

That's wonderful that you all do that!

I've heard the song but can't think of the name of it....could anybody tell me the name of it?

How's Charissa feeling? Hopefully much better and hope you guys didn't and won't get it!

God Bless!

Annie said...

Wow, thanks for sharing, Rachel. That song is so uplifting! I know you are busy, so I appreciate the updates. =)
Love in Christ,
~Annie~

Sveta said...

I love that song!

Emily said...

Wonderful song with a wonderful message! God bless you.