Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Home Projects

Before

As long-time readers of our blog know, we children have a standing 'tradition' of sorts when Dad and Mom leave home for several days. While we learned lots and had some great times decorating our Seward home, we're now getting to start over with a new home...and all-white walls!

Daddy has been dropping hints over the past couple weeks regarding our home decor, so when they planned a weekend trip to South Carolina to see Andrew (more about that coming soon!), we decided the timing was perfect for another project with our family 'make-over' team. Since Matthias, Stephen, Susanna, and Alaythia joined the SC trip, our numbers were depleted....however, Josiah and Abi pitched in and were SUCH a blessing!! (We love you guys!!)

So for a photo-journal of the weekend...

We started Monday morning with finalizing the colors and trouping off to town for paint and supplies...while the home crew started preparing the rooms with plastic and tape.


It's always good to have friends to share the creativity!

Paint! Ruth and Elizabeth did most of the huge, high ceiling -- draining three buckets of paint!


While the house was in disarray, the little ones had fun running errands with us and having picnics outside.



Ah, the FUN of color!


Our wonderful sis-in-love edged for hours!


Painting those hard-to-reach spots



Cleaning as we go!



Josiah even got in on the action!

When we heard the family was returning on Tuesday night instead of the original Wednesday plan, our worked shifted into high gear and by the last hour we were literally racing around the house trying to get it all finished. Thankfully, we completed the last touches only minutes before Nathanael shouted their arrival!

So for a few before/after pics....


Before

After

(Minus the family picture which will be hung above the piano.)


Special pictures! [smile]


This is the only 'before" picture I could find of the hallway, as it was a last minute addition to the project. Basically, a typical white-walled hallway.

I LOVE playing with Bethany's pictures!


Arranging...


After

The basement stairway


And yes, we did one other project...and I wish I had a 'before' picture to show you -- and a picture of Bethany painting her lovely Scripture print on the wall. But unfortunately, this all was done in the final scramble to finish before the deadline, so the camera missed those moments. Thank you for the Scripture painting, Bethany!!!


And there you have it - another memorable, fun weekend. What a joy to work together!

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might"

Ecc. 9:10

23 comments:

Kenna said...

Looks like a lot of fun & hard work. But, what a joy to do it with family! I absolutely love the after pictures. :) You all did a wonderful job on it. I'm sure your parents are very proud. Bethany did a great job with the bathroom wall. Like the "Special Pictures" :) Funny how all the girls are in blue shirts. :)
God Bless!

Ruth Ann said...

what a blessing to be able to do that together as a family! The finished product looks great! :)

I especially LOVE Bethany's scripture painting - she should come here and do it for me. :)

And the framed pictures and pictures on the wall...I LOVE IT! I always enjoy pictures up on display so I love your creative ways to display them. Need to do some in our house... :) Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm sure your parents are blessed by their children.

Josiah and Abi Wissmann said...

Oh! What special memories, and wonderful fun! Thank you SO MUCH for letting us join you!! We loved it, and the time spent with you all! :)

Melodie said...

Wow the transformation is amazing!!! You did an awesome job!! Thanks so much for sharing a bit of your world with us! I love seeing pictures. I like your "special pictures" very special indeed!

Blessings as you continue in your work for the Lord

--
Melodie

Melissa said...

Looks great! I too like the "Special Pictures"...! Who took the one of Dan and Bethany??

Anonymous said...

That is SO cool! I love when you guys do these "home projects". I was wondering when it would happen! And all your pictures are so nice!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! It all looks so... lovely! Y'all have such a knack for doing a terrific job on home decor! Not only that, but it looks like you had a TON of fun in the process! Now I really want to come, and see it all in person! I love it....it's so beautiful! Looks like Abi really had a fun time to...I remember those days, and I know she loves painting...not only that, but she usually manages to write her name on the wall somewhere, and then it ends up kind of showing through sometimes....I'm sure she managed to restrain herself from her thrill issues at your house!=)LOL Sorry just had to tease me sis! It looks wonderful! I can't wait to see it sometime...I loved the post! Thanks Rach!

Love Ya!
Bekah

esther said...

How many days did you have to work on all that? Nice job!! The photos give it a great homey touch. I'd love to see the living room with the family photo hung on the wall above the piano! :)

Nicole said...

love the special pictures! :)

Kori said...

Love love LOVE it!!! Such fun colors... Can't wait to see it!! Ya'll are so amazing! :)
And.. I love the special pictures, too--especially the one on the right! :D

Bethany said...

I love the special pictures, too--especially the one in the middle!

:D

The Editor said...

What a fun project to do together! Everything looks so nice!

Thank you for the 'tour'! :)

Allison

Josiah and Abi Wissmann said...

Shhhh, Bekah...NO telling secrets! LOL! It made me smile! I love you!!

Oh! And I especially LOVE the 'special picture' on the left! *wink* :)

~Desiree~ said...

Working hard:) Working with siblings is so much fun (most of the time)!

Ashley said...

Looks great you guys!! What fun! Did you get a picture of your parents when they saw it? I bet they were happy. :)

You "special picture" people crack me up. ;)

Amber said...

It looks splendid!!! I love doing that kind of stuff - but I don't think I'd be daring enough to attempt it without Mom and Dad knowing about it. :)

Very nice special pictures. :)

FiveGreers said...

I love your team-working spirit! It is so fun to see the projects that you all do and pitch in together on! Andrew really missed out on all the fun (and entertainment too, no doubt!) It's neat to see how you include so many family and friends on your "schemes", Rachel! You are obviously a leader and first born!
The whole job looks fabulous! Good work everyone! And were your parents surprised? Why not! The house was CLEAN, and noone got hurt! What more could they ask for?!

Julie said...

It's so fun to do that kind of stuff! Looks like it turned out great!

Emily said...

Beautiful job! I love the colors. Bethany's scripture painting inspires me. You girls look so neat while you're painting. I'm the one with paint all over my clothes, or a braid dipped in the bucket. :)

The Ansons said...

WOW! I have such new appreciation for a project like that! Scott and I have been talking about what room to tackle next... I am not sure it will happen right away!

Anonymous said...

Looks like sooooo much fun! I'm sure you're all quite pleased with the result!

~ An Indiana Aquaintance

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes! I like the special pictures,too! Especially all of them! :D

~ An Indiana Aquaintance

Mikailah said...

Great job, everyone! It looks great! :)