Friday, April 03, 2009

Treasured Times


Tonight will be another bittersweet milestone in the journey of our family -- our very last concert with Andrew as an active part of our group. While we dearly hope that he'll be returning for a few special events (July 4th, etc...), things will undoubtably never be the same as life moves on and we arrange new music without him.

I'm sure you've noticed life around our home has been quickly changing, with wonderful new relationships and Andrew leaving to pursue God's best for this time in his life. It is an exciting, yet adjusting phase and we are treasuring every moment of being together!

Last night was a good example. We had a fun, pizza night, with a tender scene unfolding afterwards -- we all gathered in the living room, little ones perched on laps, Josiah and Abi joining us. And the stories began. "Do you remember when we climbed that old woodpile and made it into a playhouse?"...or "How old was Elizabeth when we carried her up in the trees to climb with us?!? 3?!" ...or "Remember Mom's egg object lesson!?"

And for over an hour the re-enactments, and storytelling brought smiles, giggles, teasing -- and all those wonderful family moments that overwhelm me with gratitude. The tender, strong pull on the heartstrings in a family filled with love is something that is only possible by the grace of God -- and is something that can't be bought, nor would be traded for anything.

When was the last time you had a family night to share in those special memories from years past?! Treasure, treasure each moment with your children, brothers and sisters, and parents. Life moves quickly, and before you know it, the pages of your story will be turning to the next exciting chapter!

For those of you in the Hiawatha, Kansas area who would like to join us for the concert tonight, here's the information --

The Fisher Center
Hiawatha, Kansas -- 8:00 PM
*Concert to benefit the outreach of Midland Ministries

"Trust in the LORD, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness." Psalm 37:3

14 comments:

Nicole said...

As Anne of Green Gables tells Gil, "why do people have to grow up and change?"

It's def a bittersweet time of life!

Kasie said...

So true, so true... In a few years, that'll be us! (and we've already been reminiscing about "the days when") Wow. *sigh* Time is so short.

Josiah and Abi Wissmann said...

Aw yes! Such a SPECIAL evening! Thank you for letting us in on it! :) We love you all, SO MUCH!!

Christina said...

I know what it's like. My family is all changing and moving on too. It's hard...but it's a new season of life. Treasures the times, definitely, they all go so quickly.

~Desiree~ said...

Oh, yes I love remembering memories them and making new ones! Have a good time and make some good memories!!

Kenna said...

Bittersweet memories. Will always treasure. Life goes by too fast.

AJ said...

I just love family moments!! =D

Ruth Ann said...

Ahh, your post strikes a cord with me. As I've grown up I've often wished I could be that little girl again, because growing up has its pains. As much as I look forward to what God is going to do in my life, and who He'll bring into my life, it's still sometimes sad to think about that change, as I'm so safe & secure where I'm at right now. But, He gives grace in the measure we need at the moment of need, and I'm thankful for that. Those are sweet moments, to sit & share and relish the time spent together. That would be a pretty picture to see. :)

Anna B. said...

Oh Rachel...you definitely know how to put things! I remember very well, just this last Christmas with Alaina, we went over SO many stories and memories together, what a sweet memory that is now...it serves as a constant reminder to treasure the moments that we have with our loved ones! With all the changes that are happening in my family recently, it is so easy for me to get caught up on wishing "that things wouldn't change, or that I could have treasured the moments more, or that things would still be the way they were"....instead of cherishing the time that I have with my younger siblings and build good relationships with them!

Thank you for the encouragement!!
Love you: )

Melanie said...

I LOVE love LOVE times like that with my family. And we can really relate to all these adjustments you guys are going through. You just have to keep telling yourself, "This is good, this is right, and this is exciting!" And remember that God has even better things ahead, even though it just doesn't seem like it could get any better. Isn't God good?!

Stephanie said...

Family really is a treasure. Time often feels like it goes all to fast.

Ruth said...

Wow!! Such bittersweet moments!! Moments to treasure!! I love those 'remember when' times to!! I'll be praying for you all during this happy but sad time too!! It is a special time in so many ways!!

MoonShaw said...

How true! I got chills reading this post. Family moments are very precious. They helped me through the first week of school. ;)

Mallory said...

Mmm...treasured times indeed.

"For everything there is a season..." Eccl.3

I'm so glad that you all got to have that special time together as a family.

Praise God for the "moments" spent together in brotherly love!

May He continue to bless your family as you all seek Him, and His direction in your lives!

Blessings!

~Mallory Devine