Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The many phases...

...of music practice.


For those of you who would like a glimpse into our family's musical routine, we recently captured a typical practice session in our guitar studio (i.e. - bedroom)...


Please note: No instruments were in any way harmed during the following documentation.



Phase 1 - You pick up your instrument with excitement, and listen to the song you're assigned to learn. You begin eagerly, as you're confident the complicated licks and chords you envision will be simple to teach your fingers to play.


Phase 2 - You're mind is fully concentrated as you go over and over the song, one measure at a time. Slowly. Painstakingly.


Phase 3 - You suddenly realize the complicated licks you'd envisioned are INDEED complicated, and your fingers don't seem to be making any progress in the right direction. You're tempted to give up.



Phase 4 - Determination fills your body as you grasp the instrument and start over. Slowly. Painstakingly. You fight feelings of frustration. Why do our brains have such a difficult time communicating with our fingers?!



Phase 5 - You begin to feel violent thoughts towards your instrument and the so-called beautiful song you were supposed to learn. At this point, it's generally safest for all involved to call for a short break.


Phase 6 - Take a few hours' break and start over with Phase 1.



"And whatever you do, do it heartily..."
Col 3:23

29 comments:

Amber said...

Lol. Andrew reminds me of my brother, who spends hours in his bedroom, practicing his guitar. Often it's the same song (or measure) over, and over, and over, and over......

simplysanctified said...

That is just too funny! Reminds me of times practicing piano and harp - ha!
Great post! :)

Sue said...

lol!!! i play some instruments and totally know the frustrated "time for a break" feeling :)

The DeL Sisters said...

Ah, this looks TOO FAMILIAR!

Hannah Del

Coeur d'Court said...

Know the feeling! I hope everything continues to come together for your new songs. Practice does actually and indeed make PERFECT. :) Praying for God's strength and direction for you all!

thechatterbox92 said...

sounds like me trying to learn a new song! lol I laughed the whole time I was reading this..... I can feel your pain=)

Jade

Noelle said...

LOL! Boy, do I too know the feeling! :D

The Longs said...

Loved the post tonight--- it reminded me trying to get the radio stations pre-programed lol!!!

Ruth Ann said...

hilarious! thanks for sharing!

Patriot Ponies said...

Andrew, thats pretty much it!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to come out and see us!

~Annick

Margaret Neufeld said...

That's hilarious! Nicely illustrated!

Julie said...

That's hilarious! Ande will get a kick out of that post, as he has felt the same way at times!

KarenR said...

Perfectly illustrated! LOL! THat sounds about right.

Anonymous said...

Great blog you guys! Its absolutely hilarious!

Lesley said...

How funny!:) Totally know the feeling!

May the Lord bless your hard work and the many hours spent practicing!

Goldfish said...

That was awesome. Very applicable to my studio work. I should print this post off and insert studio terms inplace of the musical terms. :)

Anonymous said...

hysterical pix of you, Andrew! :) To all you Wissman's...God bless and keep your eyes on Him! ~me

Bekah said...

This post is absolutely HYSTERICAL! Andrew's phases are indeed unique! But then what else would we expect from Andrew!=) I was getting a bit worried about the guitar there Andrew, but when I saw it in one peice safe and sound in then end I decided that the scripture, and what ever you do do it heartily....indeed fits you! Hope you don't get so frusterated learning new music in the future!=)

~Tori~ said...

How hilarious!

Dan "the man" Beasley said...

WOW! Way to stick with it Andrew! I have just one question. How many guitars has he gone through?

BrittLeigh said...

hahaha... great post..... oh the joys of music... lol

Stephanie said...

That was hilarious! Very well illustrated as well. :D

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, I especially like the 2 one from the bottom. Kimberly.

Margaret Neufeld said...

Unfortunately, I've been feeling a bit like phase 5 with my schoolwork!

AJ said...

LOL that's funny! I'm sure it's hard to learn a song by ear! Good luck. :)

Gods little girl said...

that's really funny!!!!!
maybe Andrew should get counseling on what to do with his anger!!! lol!!!

David Kent said...

Very enlightening! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow Andrew you are so funny

Angelina Sorta said...

Hey! I'm not the only one! I love my guitar, but sometimes not my music until I get it down!!! - Rose