Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Countdown

Today marked the "1 Week" point for Andrew -- as next Tuesday we will be on our way to Omaha with his summers worth of luggage, banjo in tow. I'm sure there will also be a plenteous share of hugs, smiles and probably a few tears as we say goodbye and watch his plane taxi down the runway.

Today is also the "4 Week" point for Bethany and I as in only four more Tuesdays we'll go through the whole process again (minus a banjo). For the first time traveling to the other side of the world.

As we have been preparing, praying, and seeking the Lord for His best in the upcoming weeks, I have been encouraged by thoughts in Psalm 51, most especially verses 11-13...


"Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me...
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.

Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners shall be converted to You."

It is as we are humbly leaning on HIS strength and purifying hand that He is able to make us into usable vessels for the furtherance of His kingdom. This is a challenge whether I am at home in my comfort zone or thousands of miles away in an unfamiliar culture. [smile]

Thank you for your prayers as we treasure this last week filled with a multitude of family projects having next Tuesday as the big 'deadline' -- and also for our hearts as we prepare for a summer of new adventures in trusting the Lord!



On the practical side, we have also seen God provide in such an amazing way for many of our practical needs this past month. Strange as it may seem -- with as much travel as we do, our family realized that we didn't own any decent luggage! None! And with all the airline travel upcoming this is quite a complication! [smile]

So you can imagine our excitement to discover that a very high quality brand luggage was recently on such a huge sale locally that we couldn't even find a comparable deal online. And they even had the colors we were hoping for! What a blessing!

Even to the smallest of details.

Our God cares.

And so we treasure this special week as we know many changes are on the horizon.

"O Lord, open my lips,
And my mouth shall show forth Your praise." Ps.51:15

14 comments:

sister-in-law to be said...

I'm sure it is a hussle--and bussle of activity--and preparations over there! Am definitely praying for God to lead and direct each step of the way...as He already has!:) Can't wait to see and hear all that HE has in store for you! Though I'll admit I'm REALLY going to miss each of YOU!;) Love you lots!!

simplysanctified said...

Wishing you all the best and God's greatest blessing! I'm sure our Saviour will be working in so many hearts because of your testimony and love for Him!

Stephanie said...

God provides. Wow, a lot coming up in your family in the next weeks and months. May God bless you all as you prepare to go your different places.

Rachel said...

Dear Abi --

Thanks for your comment....and I just love your new title! ;)

Oh, and was that brother of mine keeping you up past midnight last night?! [giggle]

Love ya lots!

~Tori~ said...

We are so thrilled for all three of you! Isn't it wonderful how the Lord always provides?! I will be keeping you in my prayers - pray you have a safe trip and a wonderful time doing the Lord's work! God bless!

Melodie said...

God is So Good!!! he provides what we need and even throws in a few wants just 'cause he can. I'll be praying as you all go your ways this summer. I pray that he'll POUR out his blessing on your work where ever you go!

~Melodie~

Lady Ruth Ann said...

God is so good!! Thanks for sharing some of your upcoming events. Does the CD fit in there somewhere? *grin* Can you tell I'm very (un)patiently waiting?

God bless all of you!! :)

Anonymous said...

The little things are the greatest miracles sometimes.

But I can't imagine why you and Bethany wouldn't want bring a banjo along to China?! They are the best weapons...I mean, the best instruments around! ;-)And you never know when you need some bartering material. :)

We will definitely be praying for safety and blessings for Andrew as he starts this exciting adventure.

Fleming family

Anonymous said...

This is such an exciting time for you and I am so happy that you have chosen to spend your summer preaching the gospel. I think we need to see more pictures of Ruth on the blog :)

Rowe Family said...

Rachel, Bethany, and Andrew,

I am so excited for each of you! I have been praying for the Lord's working in your lives to spiritually prepare you for this summer. Have a blessed time! I am looking forward to hearing how He has worked through you and in you.

Love in our amazing God,
Missy

"And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed." Deuteronomy 31:8

Cassie said...

Hello, Wissmanns! I hope ya'll have been doing well. Last Sunday we met some people who had heard you guys and they were really excited that we knew you too! God bless!

~Cassia Ebert(and family)

Lesley said...

We will be praying for all three of you as head out for the summer! Maybe I should say keep praying for you all since we've been praying for you as you prepare.:) How exciting for you....can't wait to hear what the LORD does through you!!!
~Lesley
I do hope that someone(Ruth maybe:)) will keep us posted on what the rest of the Wissmanns are up to while you're away. I imagine they will be keeping busy too!;)

sister-in-law to be said...

Ya! I like my new title too!=) And no...I think that night I actually kept myself up past midnight...though I think we had just got off the phone! (grin)

Love you, sister!!!

Kay & Rick Ficken said...

Today is the day Andrew headed to Omaha. Please know he is in our prayers.

Hugs from the Fickens