Thursday, December 27, 2007

To Give is More Blessed...

I hope I never forget my fifth birthday. Typical child, I was all consumed with what wonderful presents my friends would bring to my party. And typical of such a self-centered attitude, I quickly became a rather difficult little person to live with.

So my ingenious mother came up with a plan.....that year I would plan gifts to give my guests instead of hoping for such treasures myself. And so the 'birthday project' began!

Long story made short..... I learned in a practical little-kid way that it is more blessed to give than to receive.

A truth I was reminded of again this week --

I was reminded when I signed in and saw the prayer support by many of you blog readers... And as we welcomed the largest group of inmates we've ever had at the Prairie Du Chein Prison... I was again reminded as I saw the eager faces of the men and heard their voices join ours in the familiar carols. And the blessings of giving really started to spill over when five men responded to Dad's sharing of the gospel.


Thank you -- in a huge way -- for your prayers for our family this past Christmas. The hours we spent with the men are hard to fit in a 'nutshell' post. There were several men we had met on previous visits, along with dozens of new faces. As the Lord brings them to mind, please join us in continuing to pray for the chaplain, the believers, and the fields that are white unto harvest in Prairie Du Chein. We are already looking forward to making another visit, Lord-willing, in 2008.


Truly, it is more blessed to give than to receive!


"The only things we can keep are the things we freely give to God." --C.L.

6 comments:

lajiemarie said...

Truly, it is more blessed to give than to receive!

AMEN! God bless your family for giving of yourselves to see souls won for Christ!!!

Nicole said...

awwww!
praise God!
He's so good to teach us the lessons we need to learn in the ways that we can learn them!
love ya!

Anonymous said...

What a joy and privilege it is to be used by God in His plan! We are blessed to hear how the Lord worked that day. Will continue to pray for the prisoners and your family. Praise be to God who offers the gift of salvation to all who believe!!! We rejoice over those men who became brothers!!! We know that He will finish the work He has started!

Stephanie said...

What a blessing to see people come to the Lord. Praise God!

dak-juneau said...

So my ingenious mother came up with a plan.....that year I would plan gifts to give my guests instead of hoping for such treasures myself. And so the 'birthday project' began!

That's a great idea!

...when five men responded to Dad's sharing of the gospel.

Praise God! I was praying for your family and the men that morning-early afternoon (in Alaska).

Mark said...

Thanks for keeping the blog up. My family met you at the Village Creek Bible camp, and my children frequently check your blog and report what is going on with your family.

Do you know your schedule beyond December 31st? On your website it is not kept up past that date. I would be curious if you will be touring somewhere near South Dakota in the future.

Thanks.