Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Manhattan Entourage

Having never visited Manhattan, we didn't quite know what to expect yesterday as we started out for a tour of the city. Except we knew there would be traffic. And lots of people.

Thankful to have a knowledgeable friend along with us, we spent several hours experiencing the sights, sounds, and smells of the downtown area. Here are a few hightlights...

"In New York harbor stands a lady..." With much awe we stood watching the harbor waves toss; remembering both the history and heritage of America's past. How many families landed here holding the hope of freedom and a new life.

Somehow the statue wasn't as tall as we were expecting! [smile] Actually, we opted to skip the ferry ride -- and this was the second-best picture opportunity!

But speaking of height, we had the privilage of meeting this young man. A native of Sudan, he is 7'5" and plays on the highschool basketball team here. We enjoyed visiting with him and watching his gentle ways with children.


It was sobering to drive by Ground Zero. Especially after hearing many stories from the locals of how that day affected so many aspects of their lives.

And after walking block upon block of skyscrappers, it was a breath of fresh air (quite literally!) to spend time in Central Park. Surrounded with trees and quiet walkways, it was a blessed change of pace to explore the castle, ice rink, turtle pond, Shakesphere gardens, fountains, bridges, and so much more! We were amazed to find that even after over an hour of discovery, we still hadn't covered half the park.

Elizabeth and Susanna run under a bridge.

Time to take a break for some 'munchies'.

And then it was time to head back to the van.
It was a good day, but we all agreed:
There's no place like home!

"Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God."
Psalm 90:1-2

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful tour guide to get you to all the spots you saw....these were my old stomping grounds when I was a teenager.....I especially get homesick for NYC around Christmas time. Wish I could have been with you all. So glad you had a great experience with the Big apple. Mrs. U

Ronalln19 said...

Wow looks like a good tour. I must say that guy is one to look up to[smile]have a great week God Bless you all. Ron

Stephanie said...

It look like you are having a great time. May God bless you on your continued travels.

Snapped-It said...

That guy is Tall! Fun times to remember...

Becky K said...

What a blessed trip. I have never been to NYC. Looks like you made wonderful memories and what a blessing to have everyone all together. And....that gentleman is very tall!! Talk about "looking up" to someone. :)

Sara N. Smith said...

Looks like you all had a great time! The pics. were lovely.
I know my family and I enjoy going to NYC when we get the chance...it's very interesting and exciting!
My brother enjoyed the pic. of the tall young man - wow!!!
Blessings.

Kris said...

WOW!!! I can only try to picture what is was like, well Bethany does a great job of helping with her wonderful pictures!! But is sound like quite the adventure! Blessings.

ben said...

Did the Sudanese Man mention anything about net-throwing? a.k.a fishing? We met a tall Sudanese here in Omaha and he told us that in spite of his hieght, back in his home-land he wasn't quite tall enough to throw nets like the others!

BrittLeigh said...

Totally fascinating pictures and review! I didn't realize the Lady Liberty was so short! Nor did I know that some guys come in 7 1/2-foot packages. Learn something new every day, I must say... :)

The pictures were so much fun to see!!! Thanks so much for posting!!!

Miss you guys!

Rachel Marie said...

I totally ditto Britt's comment... :D she stole the words right out of my mouth. ;)

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them with all of us! :)

God bless!!!

rehm family said...

Oh, it looks like you had such a special day! Must be neat to have field trips so much of the time. Nothing like having history right before your very eyes! WE sure do miss you though, and hope you'll hurry home just as soon as you can!!! :)

We love you,
The Rehm's

Anonymous said...

well, I guess its been while since I 'checked in' with you guys,,,, Long Island huh, - how fun!! There are some great people there!:)
I about died laughing over Andrew's writing.... it was great!! - Today going on my family's blog, and yours made me pretty homesick for a time and place that I'll never have again.... These days together seem to last forever... but treasure them so tightly!!!
(Don't get me wrong, - I'm so happy and blessed... I know you all know what I mean about changes with Josiah gone.... aw well, - enjoy each day!!
Love & Miss you guys!! Rebecca Shepard

Heidi Wiebe said...

Looks like y'all had fun!
Wish I could have been there with you!
Man, y'all look short standing next to that guy! Not even Joshia would even get close to be as tall as him!

God bless all of you!
I'll be praying for you!

DUSTYNNE said...

Great pictures! Thanks again!

Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...

Hello... I know you don't know me, but you visited my church this morning (GBC). Your family is such a blessing and an encouragement to me! I just wanted to say "thank you" for living your life for God like you do.
Thanks again.
By the way, sorry about the removed comment.