Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Mighty Longing


"I want deliberately to encourage this mighty longing after God. The lack of it has brought us to our present low estate. The stiff and wooden quality about our religious lives is a result of our lack of holy desire. Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth. Acute desire must be present or there will be no manifestation of Christ to His people. He waits to be wanted. Too bad that with many of us He waits so long, so very long, in vain."
--A. W. Tozer


"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness
for they shall be filled."
Matthew 5:6

8 comments:

DUSTYNNE said...

Amen -- something I have definitely been seeing lately! Thanks so much for the reminder!

DUSTYNNE said...

Or rather, I have been learning the good part...that we need to pursue God...I didn't mean 'amen' to the part that so little people are pursuing God.

:)

Andrea said...

Wow...that is so good, and something God's been pressing hard on my heart lately. Thank you for sharing!

BrittLeigh said...

Due to some excellent reading material by Nancy Leigh DeMoss :), not to mention the supreme love and grace of God, that quote was totally "up my alley". Tozer hits the nail right on the head there. "Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth." Unfortunately, complacency is so prevalent. Thanks for sharing this... and beautiful photo!!

rehm family said...

Wow! What a heart wrenching quote! "Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth." How true...for that's a huge factor in the mess we are in as a whole for our nation. We've let things slide on past...thinking it won't affect us!

Thank you all for the stand you've taken, and for the blessing you are in taking that stand for Jesus!

We love you,
The Rehm's

Anonymous said...

I really like Tozer's writings.

KarenW said...

That is so true. Complacency comes in so gradually that you don't see it coming. I have found that in my own life that it happens with out knowing, and then you look back and think "How did I get here?".

God is so faithful and He never gives up on us.

Thank-you for the great quote!

Goldfish said...

Oh, lol, I have been working on design too much. I looked at the picture and immediately thought: "Hm, the flower is in the bottom right corner. That is a strong composition." Oh, dear, I need HELP!! :D