Friday, April 06, 2007

No Greater Love

In this season of reflecting on our Lord's death and resurrection I was again blessed by the words and message of this song --

How deep the Father's love for us -- how vast beyond all measure.
That He should give His only Son, to make a wretch His treasure.

How great the pain of searing loss; The Father turns His face away.
As wounds which mar the Chosen One bring many sons to glory.

(Picture courtesy of Webshots community.)

Behold the man upon the cross. My sins upon His shoulders.
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers.

It was my sin that held Him there until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me LIFE -- I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything -- no gifts, no power, no wisdom.
But I will boast in JESUS CHRIST; His death and resurrection.

Why should I gain from His remorse? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart -- HIS wounds have paid
MY ransom.


Can we even fathom such love? Can we borrow from the expanse of language to write of it? Indeed, this awesome reality should captivate our hearts, our lives, our everything. Daily drawing us
to Jesus Christ Himself who so painfully -- yet freely -- laid down His life for us. "Greater love hath no man than this....." (John)

4 comments:

Kori said...

I love this song! It is quickly becoming one of my favorites! I wish ya'll had it recorded! It is so true.. How deep the Father's love for us!!! But this I know with all my heart -- HIS wounds have paid MY ransom.

Jackie said...

Happy Easter! It means a lot to me, and hopefully, to you's also!

KEPTBYHIM said...

WE SANG THIS SONG ON EASTER SUNDAY. I RECOGNIZED THE TUNE BUT HAD NEVER HEARD THE WORDS TO IT. SUCH A MARVELOUS CONFESSION FOR HIS CHILDREN TO EXPRESS. "IT IS FINISHED". BLESSINGS TO ALL.

Anonymous said...

Rachel you have such a simply but profound trust in God and His Son. Thank you for challenging me with your faith.

Paula Herbel