Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Our Merciful God!!!!

Last night as I quickly posted "Open-air" I turned to Psalms for a verse to tie my thoughts together. Little did I know that less than 12 hours later I would stand in utter amazement at their truth -- "Let God be Magnified!"



This morning around 7:15 we were all cuddled in our beds, heading down the road in southern Mississippi. The steady rhythm of the bus is a favorite early morning sensation -- enjoying the time before the front of the bus fills with tousled heads hungry for breakfast.

Andrew was our driver for the morning, and I teased him about being the early bird before snuggling back into my sleeping bag. After about 20 miles of smooth 70mph interstate, everything suddenly changed. While the details are still a little fuzzy, it seems a semi pulled onto the road just a short distance ahead of us. By the time we noticed the speed difference it was too late. We slammed into it, ripping off the front-right side of our bus.

What resulted is a string of miracles that could probably equal my longest post ever.....I'll try to recount with pictures and details ---


Andrew was not thrown from his seat, and was able to swerve in time to avoid hitting the truck straight on. I was sleeping directly behind him, and was thrown up and over his seat onto the steering wheel. I'm sure it was God's hand that kept us both from flying through the broken windshield.



Ruth also was thrown from her bed (she slept in the front/right corner of the bus), but was stopped mid-air by the brace between the two front windows. Aside from a scrape on her arm, she's not harmed.

Nathanael was the third one sleeping in the front section. Just behind him (on the fridge) we keep all our heavy cooking pots, blender, etc.... Amazingly, he stayed in his bed, but all the kitchen-wares flew over him and landed in what used to be the aisle. Except for a few spilled grits/cereal in his hair, he wasn't touched.


Meanwhile, in the middle of the bus, the bunks had collapsed on each other because of the impact and falling walls. Once again -- by God's mercy, both bottom bunks 'happened to' be empty -- Andrew was driving, and Alaythia, previously having a bad dream had moved to snuggle with Hannah on an upper bunk. Besides a few bruises, nobody was hurt.

And the back room held yet another miracle. While Mom ended up in the hallway, and Dad fell into a corner, little Charissa was whisked off the big bed where she'd been sleeping. A pillow flew in front of her, cushioning her impact on the wall --then slid down underneath while a second pillow landed beside her. The bed frame shifted, landing only inches away. But she is perfectly fine.

All the instruments and sound equipment are all okay.


Almost as fast as we realized what had happened, a host of truck drivers and rescue workers were on the scene helping us get out and gather a few necessities (blankets!). I heard multiple times, "You are so lucky -- I can't believe no one was hurt in this!"

But as we shared with them -- it isn't luck at all. We serve such an incredibly merciful God Who is in control of all situations. He carried that crockpot over Nathanael's head. He placed that pillow under Charissa. He blocked us from sailing out the front windshield en-motion.

His mercy is beyond understanding.


"Thank you" seems a trite way to express our gratefulness to those of you who pray for our family's safety. We have never seen the Lord's protection as we did today. We thought of so many of you as we stood around marveling at the miracle around us.

Please do continue to pray as this has placed many uncertainties into the days ahead. We have been brought to a local Baptist church this afternoon, where they have been going out of their way to provide hospitality -- showers, pizza, and a large van to use for errands. And a friend is currently bringing us a motorhome from South Carolina for transportation to the upcoming prison ministry.

Specifically, we ask prayer for --

  • Wisdom concerning the rest of this trip: transportation, lodging, etc... (We have over a month left on this trip.)
  • Andrew did fracture his 'banjo thumb' -- pray for quick healing and creativity in how to work around that, as he provides much of our instrumentation.
  • Future transportation -- new bus?!
  • A quick settlement with the insurance companies -- no legal battles.
  • As this goes on the local news here in Mississippi, we pray the Lord would be glorified. (The newspaper woman is a believer!)

Again, THANK YOU for your prayers!!! We will endeavor to keep you updated with the latest developments.

"...Let God be magnified!!"
Psalm 70:4

45 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my goodness!!! I will be praying, praying, praying!!!

Coeur d'Court said...

We had just heard the news and I was so relieved to find your post already. We are marvelling at God's continued faithfulness and will pray for wisdom in future plans. I hope you guys aren't too sore from all the throwing and bumping around you did in the wreck... even though you're all okay, those sore muscles can take awhile to feel better.

The miracles relayed are unbelievable. Wow. There must've been more angels than people in your bus this morning.

Anonymous said...

I just read your post - I believe in miracles, but I think this is one of the most most amazing (and welcome ones) I think I've seen. I'm so glad you are OK and have people there to help support you.

In Bethany's 1/31/07 post, she included "Have you given thanks for anything yet today." I just did when you said you were all OK.

May God's arms continue to safely hold you.

Richard, your Old Threshers Fan

BrittLeigh said...

I was so worried about you guys! I had heard just a little scrap of news, and was so glad to see your post. Wow, I am in awe at how God protected each of you!! It could've been so much worse! And it seems amazing to me because this week you've really been in my prayers concerning safety.

I read this and think, "God, You are so good! So, very, very good!"

I praise God for the miracles He performed, and I rejoice at the evidence of His protection.

Kori said...

wow! What a miracle!I am so thankful all of you are okay!! We serve an incredible God! There were defiantly some angels on that bus this morning protecting you! I'm so glad you guys are all safe and I will keep praying! I hope all the bumps and brusies heal quickly and you get back on track soon! Love ya'll!

BrittLeigh said...

PS, those pictures of the sweet Happy Day Bus make me sad :(

Anonymous said...

16 in the bus today as always

fred

the ulmers said...

Praise the Lord for His hand of protection of you all!!
What a miracle that you didn't go through the windshield!! We are SO glad that none of you are seriously injured, and that all your instruments and sound equipment are okay!
We'll be praying for your family!!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! GOD IS GOOD :)

Anonymous said...

A note for Andrew;
"The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand." Psalms 37:23 & 24

Bob said...

I will be praying for you and your family in the days ahead. Gods hand of protection was with you and Andrew as he was driving the bus. Your Friend in Burlington Iowa

Bob Payne

Betty said...

Sometimes it takes God working miracles such as this to jolt us out of apathy.
Your family is alright. Your post reminds me of what a wonderful, loving God we serve.
So happy you will continue your ministry.
Much love to you and yours.

Betty G

rehm family said...

We are praising the Lord with you for His protection of each one of you! And are praying for His peace, strength and provision to be yours in a way you have never experinced before.

Many hugs, and love to you all!!

But "he who glories, let him glory in the Lord." 2Cor.10:17

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for His protection!!!! I'm so glad everyone is okay!! (Thanks for posting pictures, Bethany--wow! I'm glad you have your camera!)

Morgan

Lydia :) said...

Wow. God is very gracious and merciful, working in ways we don't understand! Praying for ya'll!

Anonymous said...

Glory to God! You are still in our prayers. Always!

From journey for all.

Loewen family said...

We also just recently experienced the Lord's faithfulness in keeping us in His precious care and from your event we know, beyond a doubt, that He kept you all in His tender care. May God use this happening in your lives in a powerful way as you continue to reach out to others.

selahV said...

God bless you and your family. I've sent this blog to many many people who I believe will indeed be praying for all of you. SelahV

Victoria said...

I'll be praying!

Sara Campbell said...

Tears stream as God's abundant protection, mercy, and grace are so evidently displayed through your account and pictures. I'm so sorry, dear Wissmann family, but I know that the Father has great things in store for you, even through this awful event. Please know that we will be praying earnestly, with expectation, for God's will for you. Love to all.

1 Corinthians 2:9, "As it is written, no eye has seen, no ear has heard, NO MIND CAN CONCEIVE the things God has for those who love HIM!"

Anne said...

God's faithfulness never ceases to amaze me and His protection is very evident. *Only God* could have protected you as He did!

Tabby said...

What a mighty God we serve!! when I saw the first picture of the bus my heart skipped a beat! it just hit so close to home with our accident being just a month ago, I was praying I wouldn't get to the "bad news" the whole time I was reading, but Praise God you're all ok! there was 12 of us in our suburban when we hit the car at only about a 20-30mph impact, I can't imagine the impact of hitting a truck that much faster. We were so blessed to all walk away with very minor bumps and bruises, but in a way it felt like we had still lost a member of the family, our old suburban had taken us and so many other kids so many places. It felt like a member of the family and watching them tow it away was by far the hardest part. I'm sure you feel the same way about the buss!!!!! you are always in my thoughts and prayers!
God is good! All the time!
~Tabby

Anonymous said...

Dear Wissmann Family,
You are in our thoughts and prayers during this time. We are so thankful & rejoicing in the Lords protection.
The Olson Family

Acts 2:17-18 said...

We are rejoicing in the LORD's hand upon you all!! His love is so great! May He continue to pour out His grace on your ministry.

Rachel Marie said...

Oh, God is so incredibly GOOD!!!
My family and I are thanking the Lord for His protection and care over your family!!!

bontragers said...

hey ya'll, we're sooo thankful that you all are alright and safe!! we've been praying for you!
see you in a couple o hours! we love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Kris just told me and i came running to the computer. The Lord shows his love in many ways and he is watching over your family! "Thank you Lord, NO ONE was hurt". Our thoughts and prayers will be with you all.
God Bless,
Amanda and Carly

David Kent said...

I just saw your post (2/07). Wow. The number of miracles that occurred that day are incredible. Praise God that you all are OK except for Andrew's fractured thumb.

God's hands were most assuredly protecting your family...from the looks of the bus...

I'll be praying about the things you listed and praises to God that those are the only things we need to pray for!

David

The Naylor Family said...

We are so thankful that you all are okay. What a mighty and wonderful God we serve!!!

We'll be praying for His continued guidance and protection on you all.

You know, sometimes it is re-assuring to know without a doubt that we are meant to be alive!!!!

Love, prayers, and hugs,
from The Naylors

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

God is so good! This is a powerful reminder that we are protected by a loving, caring Heavenly Father.

I am so glad that you all are okay!

Anonymous said...

How great is our God!!!?? He keeps the entire universe in order and at just the right second moves a pillow into just the right spot! We are certainly praying for you and praising the Lord for His working. Conners

Anonymous said...

Amen to Fred. We are rejoycing and praying with you all.
Hipps

Anonymous said...

Wow! God is sure amazing! Looking at that bus, I's surprised no one got hurt! I was also surprised to hear that all the instruments and sound equipment were fine! It's so hard to believe; God was protecting you. I will be praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Fred redmond just emailed me and said to check out your blog.

Yes, The power above can protect.

I pray too that the truck driver was also not hurt.

Peace be yours and with you always ,
David Neff in Topeka

Anonymous said...

Dear Wissmanns,
Tonight we thank God for your family as we have so often in the past 2 1/2 years!! We are grateful that God has chosen to preserve EACH of your lives!!! We are continually praying...
Love,
the Jasters

VandeHeiFamily said...

we are so Glad you are all safe!
Praise God for his Goodness!

The Vande Hei Family

~carrie~ said...

Wow!! Our youngest just showed me the pictures!! Psalm 91 played out again. Just thinking of all of you as I have some great dino pics from a recent meeting. We will be praying. You are all safe and miraculously delivered as God ordered your day in a very different way. -Jim Greenacre-

Anonymous said...

Hey Everyone,
We finaly got to a church where they let us get on the computer to see the bus.We just want to let you guys know how much we love you all and that we're praying for you.Words can't even express how GREAT a GOD we serve!!!! His mercy's endure forever.
I've had to keep the tears back several times today thinking about what kind of a miricle God performed yesterday morining,because only God's Angles could have done what was done yesterday.
Love,The Waddington's

~Bryant~ said...

What a shock to see a picture of a smashed Wissmann bus on the Wissmann blog! As we read your post, I started to cry, as did my parents. What a mighty God we serve!
"God is good, all the time. All the time, God is GOOD!
We love you all and your ministry, and just prayed for you and will continue to do so!
You will have an awesome story to tell about our AWESOME God at your future concerts!!!

Esther said...

When I saw the picture of the bus pop up, I felt so much like crying. 15 people in a large bus colliding into a semi. And nobody hurt! God is truly in control. He protects His children so well! I am rejoicing that your family is not hurt. I know losing your second home must be painful. I pray that God would show you what to do about transportation and everything else as you are away from home for so long. Thank you very much for the blog and pictures. I will be looking for updates, and meanwhile, I will be praying very much for all of you.
May the Lord bless you greatly.
In His Name, Esther Derby

Barak said...

PRAISE GOD! PRAISE GOD! PRAISE GOD!

Thank you Jesus!!!!!!

I am SO joyful for you all being held safe. I have enjoyed your music and testimony, and rejoice in it continuing powerfully.

Pr 10:22 The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth NO SORROW WITH IT!!!

God is sooo good, Bear

BrotherBear.org

Rachel Nicole said...

i am so glad your family is ok. if they weren't there wouldn't be any more shows in Falls City Ne.
P.S. Your family rocks!!!

The Clift Family said...

Ron and Doris Jaster just told us about the accident.
Praise God for His hand of protection. What satan intended to harm you God is using for His Glory and your good.
God, I thank You for the Wissmann family and I praise you for your protetion. Please provide for thier needs in an extra ordinary way. You promised to meet all of our needs according to your riches in glory. And I trust that you are working out all the glorious details of provision. I love you Father and I thank You for the Wissmann's family ministry. They are such an encouragement to so many of us. Please comfort them and give them a peace through this trying time. God please touch their bodies and mend the ligaments and tendons. Heal the muscles and tissues that were stressed in the accident. Pour out your healing on the whole famliy. In the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ I pray, AMEN.
We love you all.
The Clift Family
Dr. Jason, Diane, Abigail, Joshua, Hannah, Caleb.

Wildflower said...

I am glad that no one was seriously hurt.
I with my family has been in a accident. We were going down our street where we lived in a van, when we slid on some snow on the road and hit a telephone pole. Our van was totaled. We still had our truck and Daddy's car but we could not all go places till we bought a new van.
I will be praying.

Melody said...

What an amazing testimony of God's grace! I'm so thankful you all are alright.