Saturday, December 09, 2006

Harmonica Choir

Last night we had a precious moment.

It was our first concert at "The Lights" -- Seward's annual light display, and we were asked to try something new. Something to help other young people get excited about music. Armed with a box of harmonicas, our boys gave some quick lessons to 3 willing brothers before the service started. They proved to be real quick learners, for when we asked for our 'harmonica choir', they jumped right up there and gave it one hundred percent.

I only wish we had recorded those sweet strains -- "Silent Night, Holy Night".

The joys of learning and sharing together.

9 comments:

Megan said...

Cute picture!

Jacob said...

That's pretty cool! I've thought about picking up harmonica before... but couldn't stand the thought of living without easy half-steps!

Your post reminded me of some other harmonica players I knew when they were young.

Anonymous said...

That's great.

Monica

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Are you doing it again this Friday night...??

micah noel said...

That is a wonderful thing to do. Music empowers people to serve Christ, if only they will realize its potential. Thank you for your faithful message!

Rachel said...

Anonymous --

Yes! We will be sharing a harmonica choir each Friday evening as part of our Christmas Concert. So bring your friends, come early, and get a free harmonica & lesson!!! [smile]

journey said...

I have some quick questions. What if I come on Saturday, will there be a harmonica choir that day? My Fridays are so full. Now do you get to keep the harmonica that you learn on or will you have to share? What if you have a cold? Does it take a lot of air? What if you sneeze when you are playing will that effect the sound or does it help? And finally what if you don't fit in the picture, will that be a problem?

Oh and one other question, do you offer a corrospondence (sp) course? That way when you come into our area I would be ready to play with you all. If only I can get the oxygen tube off for a song.

Love you guys and still praying for you all.

Rachel said...

Journey -- if you come on Saturday, we will arrange a private lesson for your convienence. A short session with my brothers should answer all your questions. Oh, and we'll even provide refreshments. [smile]

journey said...

Rachel, thanks for your help with all my questions. I know that you know I'm a sucker for playing for food. I should have known you would know my weakness. The only question now is, who gets to choose first?