Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Grandparents

Sometime in the past I saw a decorative plaque that read, “There’s no place like home – except Grandma’s house.”

That thought rings true in our hearts this week as we enjoy several days with Mom’s parents in northeastern Iowa. A couple of our menfolk needed to head home for business needs (and we’re missing them bunches!), but the rest of us have been busy here, working and playing -- and just enjoying time with Grandpa and Grandma.

Living in town the past several years, I all too quickly forget what it’s like to enjoy the simple pleasures of farm life: digging fresh garden potatoes for supper (along with fresh beans, peas, and raspberries!)… running quickly to shut the house windows before an impending rainstorm… walking barefoot through the grass… and watching the boys help Grandpa with his tractors.

All these every-day delights bring a smile to my heart and songs of thanksgiving to my loving Father for creating these gifts – and for giving me the capacity to enjoy them.

Elizabeth in the garden

But though it’s great to experience country life once again, I have to admit our highlight has been getting to spend time with our grandparents.

I’ve heard that humility is… “recognizing that everything I am today is a reflection of what God and others have invested in my life”.

And with that thought, we’d like to hereby publicly thank you, Grandpa and Grandma (and Grandma Wissmann, too!) for the godly heritage that you have passed on through the years. Your love for Jesus Christ, your commitment to marriage and family, and your diligent hard work -- coupled with a joyous zest for life and laughter-- has given so much to each of our lives individually. We love you BIGGER! [smile]

“One generation shall praise Thy works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts” Psalm 145:4


A fun moment captured at Christmas time.

5 comments:

Monica said...

I'm glad you all are having so much fun with your grandparents.

BrittLeigh said...

It is so sweet to catch a little glimpse into your time with your grandparents. I'm so happy that you get to be with them like that. They're special!

bontragers said...

Such precious photos!! Grandparents are such a blessing-we got to be with ours just 2 wks ago and were reminded again how special all our time spent with them was and is. I am daily reminded to treasure the time spent with them-we don't know how much longer they will be with us.
Hoping!! to see you all soon!!:)
~the Bontrager family

Unidentified Poster said...

I know that your having a good time being with your Grandparents. You can see that. I do have some concerns though after looking at the pictures. (The pictures look great and look like they were uploaded by a great computer, but I wander.) The first picture of Matthias has me a little concerned. It looks like he is driving way to fast for his skill level. And second, he is not even looking where he is driving. I don't see any air bags avaiable so it concerns me. Just thought I would point those incrediable observations out to you. In the meantime I'll just sit here and eat my kuchen.

Rachel said...

To the unidentified poster --
Thanks for your concerns. I'll pass them along to Matthias, although I doubt the ol' rumley could go fast enough to validate your worries. Also, wasn't that the piece of kuchen I was going to choose?!

And to all: thanks for your comments! They are sunshine to our day -- we enjoy hearing from you!