Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Homegoing

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."
Psalm 116:15


Joy of memories. Tears of sorrow. It's been a weekend filled with both.

Our dear friend and 'adopted grandpa', Vern Redmond, went to be with the Lord on Friday, May 19th. Over the past 22 months our family has been blessed to know and love this fun and wonderful man.

He passed away suddenly and unexpectedly, but if I had the opportunity for one last visit, I'd like to say:

Thank you, Vern, for your friendship -- for the teasing, the stories, the special treats (chocolate!) when we'd visit; the 'fat' prayers together and telephone chats. Thanks for the snowball and waterballoon fun, the ice cream cones, the music, hugs, and laughing. You always made us feel so welcome and special. We miss you already, and look forward to your warm greeting and big hug in heaven someday.
With love......


Vern and our waterballoon fun last summer.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

da-tears

Kori said...

Vern was Fred's dad right? I'm sorry for ya'll's loss. I will defiantly be praying for you. As well as Fred and his family.

BrittLeigh said...

Oh, that's so sad. Yet, joyous cause he's with Jesus. But I lost two very special grandparents in the last 12 months, and I can say you just never stop missing one you love so much. I'm praying for you and for his family. What a sweet man he was.

abi said...

I can most definately AMEN all that you wrote about Vern. In the short 10 months that I knew Him, I was blessed time, and time again! Everything from the smiles, to the hugs, to the stories, to the songs sung, to the choclate, ice cream, and cold tomato juice, to the light in his eyes when he laughed with you! What a blessing it was to know, and share in His life.

Thank you Rachel, for sharing Vern with me, and for allowing me to be a 'come with' on your visits!:) I am a better person because of having known him.

Knowing Vern is with Jesus brings back the words of an old hymn which says, "Safe in the arms of Jesus, Safe on His gentle breast, There by His love o'er shaded, Sweetly my soul shall rest. Hark! Tis the voice of angels, Borne in a song to me, Over the fields of glory, Over the jasper sea. Safe in the arms of Jesus, Safe on His gentle breast, There, by His love o'er shaded, Sweetly my soul shall rest." I know that Vern is safe in the arms of Jesus! The love that bubbled out all over for His Savior leaves no doubt in my mind that he is resting on his dear Savior's breast.

May these truths comfort you now, and in the days that lie ahead. His strength will be sufficiant!

Love, and prayers to you all.